Saturday 18 July 2015

Steven Gerrard Was Sported Wearing Liverpool Shin Pads While Playing For LA Galaxy--

The England International and former Liverpool  Captain Steven Gerrard says his starring role for LA Galaxy on his Major League Soccer debut made him feel 'like a kid again' and he completed the throwback to his youth by wearing Liverpool shin pads.

The former Anfield skipper pulled his new club back from the brink on Friday night with an equalising goal before they went on to seal a 5-2 victory against San Jose Earthquakes.
READ MORE








And Gerrard - complete with a reminder of his days on Merseyside - said afterwards that he was delighted to be back in regular action after making his long-awaited MLS bow.

The 35-year-old played all but the last three minutes at the StubHub Center, combining with former Liverpool colleague Robbie Keane to devastating effect under head coach Bruce Arena's guidance.
'Bruce was shouting on, "How you doing?" from about 60 (minutes in),' Gerrard said. 'I pretended that I couldn’t hear him, and just kept looking away. I felt like a kid out there again. I don’t want to come off, I want to play as much football as I can.

'One of the reasons why I came to this team is to start all the games and play as many minutes as possible. I was determined not to become a squad player, I still feel like I’ve got energy.
I still love the game, I’m enjoying training, I’m settling in pretty nicely. So, so far so good, but I need to keep working and stay focused.

Despite Keane only spending half a season with Gerrard before moving back to Tottenham in the 2008-09 season, the former England captain said he found it easy to rekindle their understanding.
'We had that chemistry in Liverpool. I think when you play with good players, it’s easy to connect. He is a very intelligent player, and he has done it here for many years,' Gerrard said.

For me it’s quite easy to connect because I know where he is going to be, we’ve got a great understanding and I’m sure that relationship is only going to get stronger. When we add (Giovani) Dos Santos into the mix as well, we can have a full front line going forward.

Galaxy boss Arena agreed with his new signing's assessment and said he felt Gerrard's addition could bring the MLS champions up to a new level.

'Robbie and Stevie looked like they’ve played together before,' he said. 'Obviously, (they are) two very good players and this is why we have Stevie Gerrard here. We think he is going to make our team better.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

sharethis